1941 – The School was converted into a regional trade school by the late President Manuel L. Quezon through the help of Assemblyman Benito Soliven and Governor Pedro Singson Reyes. The Second World War, however, prevented its implementation. • 1951 – The Ilocos Sur Trade School was converted into the Northern Luzon School of Arts and Trades through Republic Act 647. • 1960 – The General Appropriations Act of 1960 (R.A. 2700) converted Northern Luzon School of Arts and Trades back to Ilocos Sur School of Arts and Trades. • 1965 – Republic Act 4449 authored by the late Congressman Floro Crisologo made the Ilocos Sur School of Arts and Trades, the University of Northern Philippines. • October 14, 1965 – The first State University of the North started implementing its charter. • 1989 – Integration of the Candon Community College into the University of Northern Philippines through R.A. 6744, sponsored by Congressman Eric D. Singson. • 2010 – Separation and conversion of the University of Northern Philippines Candon Campus to North Luzon Philippine State College through R.A. 10085 sponsored by Congressman Eric D. Singson.
The hospital is now a modern 200-bed medical center with about 350 workers, an average of about 3 workers for every patient.